Police Brutality


If you can’t help it, change it!
This thought struck me as I watched the news on the charge Derek Chauvin was getting for murdering George Floyd (second degree murder).
In general, I think, the problem was not only racism but police brutality. Because to be quite honest, we aren’t even sure whether Chauvin is a racist!
We claim he killed George Floyd because he was black but there isn’t any official statement stating that Chauvin did kill Mr. Floyd because he was black.
Officially, police brutality is the use of excessive and/or unnecessary force by personnel affiliated with law enforcement duties when dealing with suspects and civilians. I think we can all mention one example of police brutality done lately.
Unofficially, it’s just when supposed law officers don’t have any reason to beat up people but still proceed to do so.
Now, as I’m sure we all know, police brutality didn’t just pop up now. In fact, its first case was in America around 1872 when a civilian was beaten under arrest at the Harrison Street Police Station.
When I read an article about it on Wikipedia, something I saw there struck me. It says and I quote:
Hubert Locke wrote:
When used in print or as the battle cry in a black power rally, police brutality can by implication cover a number of practices, from calling a citizen by his or her first name to death by a policeman's bullet. What the average citizen thinks of when he hears the term, however, is something midway between these two occurrences, something more akin to what the police profession knows as "alley court"—the wanton vicious beating of a person in custody, usually while handcuffed, and usually taking place somewhere between the scene of the arrest and the station house.
As you can see, what struck me is highlighted in blue. Black Power. Even then, there was racism.
Black Power is a political slogan and a name which is given to various associated ideologies which aim to achieve self-determination for people of African descent.] It is primarily, but not exclusively, used by African Americans in the United States. The Black Power movement was prominent in the late 1960s and early 1970s, emphasizing racial pride and the creation of black political and cultural institutions to nurture and promote black collective interests and advance black values.
In which, this statement explains the problem of racist spreading across the world.
Now, being racist is bad enough.
Brutalizing and Murdering people is even worse.
But what is done to those murderers, or rather, the lack of what is done, is the trigger that causes riots and mass fights all around the world.

What are you, as court officials and the government, expected to do?

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe lay out the repercussion of killing a human being to the perpetrator and actually follow up on it?
Second degree murder is when a person kills an individual with a malice intent but doesn’t plan the murder beforehand so the person is going to serve some time in jail. I feel that’s a whole lot of bullshit.  I’ve done my research and so far, in not one American state is the repercussion for second degree murder a death sentence. I feel that’s totally wrong. I’m not a wicked person or anything but you can tell me that a person killed another human being and we’re just going to lock him up and let him do the time. For the love of God, people are even petitioning for jail to be nicer!
If you as the judge, had your first son killed, would you be feeling so merciful as well? Just let the person stay in jail and problem solved.
Even if you are not going to give a death sentence, I feel it is only right that the family of the murdered person should decide the fate of the murderer.
But enough of that.
We’re all trying to make the world a better place and killing doesn’t help that does it?

We should be looking for ways to stop police brutality and as I said in one of my former posts, rioting and fighting doesn’t get us that.
Personally, I feel we should cut off the problem at the root.
That takes us to police academies.
I’m going to address this issue in a future post but I just feel I need to put it out there that in a race to stop crime and all, we’re using shortcuts that are now giving us unwanted problems. Not just anybody should be allowed to become a police.
I know they do integrity tests but how often do they work?
I think for one, random integrity tests should take place to keep the policemen on their toes and let us know just what their reactions would be in different situations.
Now as individuals, this is what I think we should do. Since it seems they (law heads, government and all) need visible proof before they take necessary and long over-due action, I think we should simply create a handle or hashtag on social media e.g. #Police Brutality and any time we see something wrong being done, we take a video or picture of it and post it there.
By the time, millions of people start viewing such and demand for things to be done, you’ll be surprised that we may soon see results.
I’m going to talk a bit more on this topic in a later post but right now I’m
Signing Out (for now),
X


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung S20 Fan Edition Unveiled: Price, Release Date, Specs and Colors

Pot of Dying Culture Stew